The other night, looking through the odds and ends that had collected in my fridge and freezer trying to find dinner inspiration, I realized that I had all the makings of some really awesome Chinese food.
Confession: I’m a little intimidated by cooking Chinese food. Yes, even I get intimidated! Here are a few tips for success:
1. Get all your chopping and measuring done in advance and set up your ingredients in little bowls in the order that they go in the pan.
2. Remember, there is no kitchen disaster too great that can’t be rescued by takeout.
Shrimp & Broccoli Stir Fry
2 T Canola oil
1/2 cup sliced onion (Click here for a quick how-to video)
1/4 cup sliced celery
1 T minced garlic
1 T dried ginger (use fresh if you have it)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup bite-sized broccoli florets
1 cup small shrimp, peeled and deveined
A splash of soy sauce
A splash of sesame oil
A splash of sweet chile sauce
A splash of rice vinegar
1 T of cornstarch mixed into 1 T of water
Slivered almonds, for optional garnish
1. In a wok or large sautée pan, heat the canola over high heat.
2. When hot and shimmering, add the onions and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften.
3. Add the garlic and the ginger, stir.
4. Add the mushrooms and broccoli, stir.
5. Add the shrimp and cook through while stirring.
7. In no particular order, add your splashes of soy sauce, chile sauce, vinegar and sesame oil. Stir.
8. Stir up the slurry of cornstarch and water, pour into wok and stir until the sauce is thick.
9. Taste and decide if you need to add more soy/sesame/vinegar/chile sauce.
9. Spoon over cooked rice and serve, garnished with slivered almonds, if using.
Now that you’ve got my recipe, tweak it however you want. Sub chicken or beef cut into thin strips for the shrimp or omit the meat entirely. Try scrambling in an egg at the last moment. How much is a splash? I dunno – about a tablespoon? Make it taste good. Just remember to add the things to the pan first that you want to cook the longest, ending with the shortest cooking thing and you’ll be in stir fry heaven before you know it!