You may know that I’m a big fan of eating anything you want, as long as you make it yourself. Want fries? Me too! But neither of us can head to a drive through and think we’ll look presentable on the beach. So what to do? Start with superfood sweet potatoes, add some olive oil, a fantastic spice blend, super high heat in the oven and viola, fries and visible abs at the same time!
1 large sweet potato. cut up into wedges
1 large glug olive oil (I dunno…2 tablespoons?)
2 large pinches of my Super Spice Mix (recipe follows)
1. Heat the oven as hot as it will go. (Mine does 500º but I have to take the batteries out of the smoke alarm and remember to put them back in again.)
2. Toss the potato wedges in a large bowl with the olive oil and the spice blend.
3. Dump wedges onto a sheet tray and arrange them skin side down, not worrying if they don’t all balance straight up.
4. Roast until they’ve wrinkled a bit and are cooked through. Depending on your oven, the cooking time will vary. Try a wedge after 10 minutes. If its not done, try another at 15 minutes and so on until they are done to your liking. Also, if the spices burn on the pan, worry not.
5. Serve and enjoy!
Super Spice Mix
Makes a lot – store in an airtight container
3 T kosher salt
3 T white pepper
3 T chili powder
2 T ground cumin
2 T dried thyme
2 T dried oregano
2 T garlic powder
2 T onion powder
1 T cayenne (VERY spicy – adjust more or less to your taste)
1. Combine all the ingredients in an airtight container.
2. Put on the cover and shake until evenly combined.
3. Use whenever you need some spice in your life.